Doing all my Craft and Sewing related blogging over at My Poppet

Doing all my Craft and Sewing related blogging over at My Poppet
Pop over to My Poppet for your Weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stripes Ahoy!

I was gifted a big box of fabric off-cuts by a friend of my mother-in-law a couple of weeks ago. It contained a random selection of upholstery fabric, curtain sheers, pieces of jersey knits and some other bits and pieces. The stuff I was never going to use was donated for craft activites at Emma's creche because I really need to get realistic about my fabric stash.
What I did keep were the cotton jersey knits and ribbing because I really need to start making more clothes for Emma. She is growing like a weed!I thought I'd give this vintage T-shirt pattern a try. I bought it for 50c months/years ago, and thought the fact that it contained both child and adult patterns would be handy.
It has a stretch guide in it to give you an idea of which size to choose according to the fabric stretch. Low stretch go one size up, high stretch you can get away with a slimmer fit.
It was a breeze to sew up with my over locker (serger) whilst Emma was having a nap. The only part I had to re-do was the neckline. The head hole was a tiny bit too small to get Emma's head through comfortably and I'd cut the neck ribbing a bit too wide. It had a mock turtle neck effect which I didn't like at all.
Solution: I just re-overlocked around the existing seam which cut off the old one, making the head hole larger and the ribbing band thinner all at the same time. Yay!

I'll post pictures of Emma wearing her top on the My Poppet blog next week.